This spring I decided to build pallets for the hives headed to the farm. Over time this will be a more manageable way to move the hives. In the short term, it’s a stable base that holds two hives at once, perfect for life in the field. The pallet is made from treated lumber and exterior grade plywood. Each side has its own entrance in front with a matching length to a double nuc allowing me to use the same entrance reducers with them. The pallet has retainer clips that align and hold the hive bodies in place. I’ll get these installed in their new home soon.
Today is grafting day. Grafting is the process of creating new queens by mimicking conditions when the bees will create a queen. Continue reading “Grafting day”
It’s early spring here in the midwest, and the bees are finding bright yellow pollen in abundance. The buildup is well under way.
This is what happens when you put frames in without wiring, foundation, or anything else and forget to replace them in time. This empty frame should have went into broodnest, or at least between capped frames. Since the neighboring frame was being filled when the empty went in place, the bees simply drew out the comb double-wide in the original frame. After I cut the excess off this frame, it was good as new. I’ll return this to the hive to recap it.
This appears to be the first big day of housekeeping this spring. The hives are looking good so far, taking out the trash and bathroom breaks.
The girls are up and out on this late winter day. We’ve had a mild season so they are getting an early start to things.